5 Tips to Avoid Jet Lag


If you're flying through different time zones, you may end up with jet lag.  It usually happens when sleep patterns are disturbed like the time I was in Doha at 1 am for a seven hour layover.  Let's keep in mind the time difference between Doha and my home town in the USA is seven hours.


So how do you enjoy your trip without feeling the impact of your cross-country or international flight weighing you down?  What happens when your sleep pattern is interrupted?  How do you restart your body clock and get it back in sync? 

Let's face it, most of us don't fly private jet with a bedroom on board.  However, there are a few things that jet-setters know that allow them to arrive at their destination feeling pretty good.

Here are my 5 rituals that help me avoid jet lag on long flights.

Upgrade to Business or First Class

It's important to get some sleep therefore when I splurge on a ticket, it's usually for international travel.  This is the time to pull out points or rewards and travel in comfort.  A seat that lies flat or a suite on board is just what I need when I travel more than four hours to get to my destination.  And trust me, your body will thank you later. 

Sleep Before Take Off

It's very important to get restful sleep before a long flight.  I try to slowly prepare my body for my new time zone.  

Drink Water

Staying hydrated by drinking water and avoiding sugary drinks, caffeine and alcohol will help tremendously to keep fatigue at bay.  Air travel can cause your body to lose water because of pressurized cabins above 6000 ft. The air that you breath at that altitude doesn't contain a lot of moisture.  Plus, drinking lots of water before, during and after your trip keeps your body from becoming susceptible to germs making you sick.  

Eat For Travel 

Try to avoid heavy foods and opt for fruits with high water content. 

Sunlight 

There's nothing like sunshine to get you moving.  Exposure to natural light will reset your circadian rhythm.  It's the natural internal clock that regulates your sleep/wake cycle.

Bonus Tip:  Staying on your new schedule is the most important thing that you can do to over come jet lag.  Try to avoid the temptation of sleeping once you get to your hotel because it works against you in the long run. 


Comments