Haute Escape: Exploring Naples, Italy

Naples may be a bit ancient in appearance but there is a vibrancy about it that captivates my wanderlust.

This southern Italian city sits along the Bay of Naples. It has a charm and quiet beauty that amazed me. I wanted to visit Naples because it's near the Amalfi Coast, but I was pleasantly surprised to find myself wandering the streets of old Naples. I was here for it all the architecture, the food, and culture even the Baroque over-kill.

I visited museums and little art galleries. I enjoyed sitting at cafes and watching people roam about. And I finally indulged in Naples-style pizza! 

I saw the city's cathedral, the Duomo di San Gennaro that showcases frescoes. I drove past the Royal Palace and Castle Nuovo, a 13th century castle in Naples. It was all so interesting and unexpected.

Naples is ideally located near many other amazing destinations like the Roman town Pompeii dating back to the second millennium. It was destroyed by the eruption of Mount Vesuvius. You can see the still-active volcano from various vantage points around Naples.

You can also plan to visit the little island of Capri just across the bay of Naples and the Amalfi coast that's a short road trip away. The beauty of it all is striking. It literally takes your breath away. 

I enjoyed my time in Naples and I most certainly will be back. It's really a hidden gem that gets overlooked by more popular destinations in Italy.





































Comments