3 Things I Learned In Renewing My Passport

 


If you're planning a trip abroad, you're going to need a passport. You must start at http://travel.state.gov to get all the information needed. If you decide to mail your documents, you'll need form DS-82 to get started.

But if you're like me and you need your passport in a hurry, you will need to make an appointment for an in-person renewal. I was up late at night trying to get an appointment as the COVID lockdown started to ease up. It took me several tries before I secured an appointment at the passport office in New Orleans even though I live in Atlanta.

When I arrived at the office, I filled out a set of papers before handing over my expired passport.

During the process, these are three things that I learned that helped me get my passport in three hours!

1.  You must have travel scheduled within 14 days of departure to get an appointment at the agency for same-day processing. Be prepared to show proof of travel when you start the process to secure an appointment. You will also have to pay an extra $60 for processing in addition to the passport renewal fee of $130.00.

2. Make sure that you have your old passport in hand. You will need to leave it with the office while you wait.

3.  You'll need a new set of photos for your passport. Be sure to get it done prior to your appointment.

You can go to a number of places to get a passport photo taken. I went to Walgreens and it cost about $15. It wasn't a glamor shoot but it got the job done. 

Keep in mind, you can't take a selfie and submit it. You can't use any fillers or retouching techniques. And you can not wear glasses in the picture.

Once you get your new passport, it will last for ten years. This time around, I got extra pages in my passport book. And the best part, there is no extra fee.

Remember to always renew at least six months before your passport expires. I was almost denied entry into Canada once because my passport was within six months of expiring. They gave me a warning since I was American but they do have the right to turn you around and put you back on the plane to return to your departure city. 

Haute Tip:  Get into the habit of checking the date on your passport at least once a year.


Comments